Sooooo here it goes. Tomorrow the month of November starts and I am getting ready to grow a mustache in the name of prostate cancer.

For me the month of November will be the month of Movember (MOustache + nOVEMBER). As many of you may know I used to work in cancer research and I have seen first hand how terrible cancer is and how important research is under funded.

I am donating my face to raising awareness. Hopefully all of you can help me raise some cash. If you feel like donating follow the link and donate to “Flashin Stache, Raisin Cash” or me “Douglas Fairbanks”. http://us.movember.com/mospace/635272/

For fun I will be taking a daily photo of my new stache. I will try to capture the fun and adventures my new stache and I will embark on.

Thank you for your support.

Monday, November 29, 2010

MO Science Sundays - Day 28

Here are the facts about Prostate cancer.

National Cancer Institute

Prostate Cancer Foundation

Health Line

Prostate cancer is one of the most controversial cancers in both diagnosis and treatment.

This is the second most common cancer that affect men after lung cancer

The risk of developing prostate cancer increases after the age of 50 years.  Majority of prostate cancer are diagnosed in men over 65 years.

There are over 2 million American men currently living with prostate cancer.

Charles B. Huggins in 1941 was awarded a Nobel prize for understanding that prostate cancer was dependent on testosterone for its growth and spread and this could be reversed by giving estrogens, the so called ‘Chemical Castration’.

Prostate Specific Antigen- a marker to diagnose prostate cancer was first used in forensic investigation to determine if a stain on the undergarment was due to semen or not.

The use of ‘robotics in surgery’ is most commonly deployed for removing a malignant prostate cancer from the pelvis.

Prostate cancer is a relatively slow-growing cancer.  For all stages of the cancer the average 5-year survival rate is 98% and the 10-year survival rate is 84%. Remember - Most people die with this cancer and not of it.



Sorry this was kind of boring but I want raising awareness is an important.  There is only a couple of days left.  Please help me in these last days they are panning out be the toughest.  Please donate thru the link to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment